ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department established in the year 2013 with the UG program (B.E.in Civil Engineering) in JVIT. The department has been imparting quality education to meet the technological advancement and industrial requirements. The department is progressing through dedicated faculties and supporting staff for the academic growth. The present intake for the undergraduate program is 60 and is affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU,) Belagavi. The department nurtures students for overall development with high integrated morality by encouraging them to participate in curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular activities. The department has well established interactions with outside world (institutions and industry) through industrial visits, expert lectures, workshops, internships etc.
VISION & MISSION
To Impart Quality Technical Education for Infrastructure Development, Research and Consultancy, Excelling Out Come Based Education Emphasizing on Sustainable Development.
Disseminating and integrating the knowledge with skills in Civil Engineering and to promote industry-institute interaction leading to interdisciplinary research for sustainable development.
The Civil Engineering Department in Jnanavikas Institute of Technology produces calibered Civil Engineers for Infrastructural growth of the Society. They are capable to design and execute the construction of infrastructural components like buildings, roadways, railways, harbors and water resource structures for the growing industrial requirements of the country. The engineers are also ecological managers for sustainable development.
The students emerging out are efficient in planning, designing and constructing the projects to the required scale and also the maintenance of the projects. They will possess high standards of engineering knowledge.
The department has highly qualified professional teachers specialized in various Civil Engineering streams. The department has well equipped laboratories to meet the needs of outcome based technical education.
I’m proud to be Head of the Civil Engineering Department in Jnanavikas Institute of Technology and will strive to develop the department up to the global standards.
- To address technological and managerial challenges successfully.
- To design and execute Civil Engineering projects professionally.
- Pursue advanced technical education, research and continuing learning process to remain active professionals.
- Play key roles in addressing societal needs through interdisciplinary approach for sustainable development.
After the completion of the program, the engineering graduate will be able to:
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modelling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change program
The Program specific outcomes have been derived from the PS’s defined by ASCE. By the time of graduation, Civil Engineering students will be able to
- Apply knowledge of fundamental aspects to analyse and design civil engineering structures.
- Provide sustainable solutions to civil engineering problems.
- Employ codal provisions to arrive at comprehensive solutions to address societal needs.
- Exhibit communication and teamwork skills.